Recruiting Diverse Talent at UMB Financial Services
In order to remain competitive and relevant in our industry we needed to address our ability to attract and hire diverse talent.
We applied a holistic approach to address unconscious bias in hiring practices.
- Expanded our reach into different talent pools and also utilized our Business Resource Groups.
- Designed a customized workshop on unconscious bias for high volume hiring managers and recruiters.
- Diverse interview panels were jointly created between the hiring manager and their recruiter.
- Managers were coached to understand the potential additional time element to find the best diverse talent
- Piloted blind resume process.
New hires of people of color increased 7%, promotions of people of color has increased 2% year over year.
At UMB we don’t just see diversity and inclusion as the right thing to do, we see it as a way to energize our culture and ignite innovation, all factors which led to our decision to join the pledge. Our D&I strategies are intentional, designed to help us attract, develop and retaining the most talented workforce to spark innovation. Diversity brings unique ways of thinking and problem solving — approaching things from different perspectives always results in better solutions. And better solutions is what we strive for every day for our customers. Diversity and Inclusion differentiates UMB, and we’re very proud about that.