Increase organizational awareness and understanding of the healthcare-related issues impacting the LGBT community throughout the Hudson Valley.
Our teams play a key role in creating a healthcare environment that responds to the needs of all members of the community, including the unique needs of the LGBT community. We endeavor to be as responsive as possible to all of those we serve and have partnered extensively with LGBT community-based organizations throughout our Network to ensure that we continue to provide high-quality, patient-centered care. Several of our initiatives are listed below:
- Listening sessions for the LGBT Community to assess community needs
- LGBT Affirming Healthcare Training for clinical and non-clinical workforce members
- Formed LGBT Sub-Committee of the Executive Diversity Council to explore best practices
- 2017 recipient of the LOFT: LGBT Community Center's Business Ally of the Year Award
- In recognition of the work WMCHealth has engaged in to create welcoming and inclusive environments for LGBT patients and community members, the Crohn family and The LOFT: LGBT Community Center gifted renowned late artist Stephen Crohn's Rainbow Series to WMCHealth. This visual depiction of the rainbow colors adorns the wall of our flagship hospital's main concourse and sends a resounding message to all who work or visit our hospital about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Revised several organizational guides, manuals, and forms to ensure the presence of gender inclusive language.
- Finalizing the creation of an LGBT Policy that addresses patient rooming assignments, facilities usage, and registration intake data collection.
- Partnered with LGBT community partners to sponsor LGBT health workshops and conduct an LGBT Community Needs Assessment Survey.
- In December 2018, participated in the Human Rights Campaign's 2019 HEI Survey
Mecca E. Santana (Senior Vice President Diversity, Inclusion and Community Engagement (WMCHealth): [email protected] wmchealth.org
Promoting health equity, reducing health disparities, increasing access and opportunities and fostering an environment that is inclusive and welcoming to all are facets of healthcare transformation that WMCHealth has enthusiastically embraced.
When initially approached about taking part in the CEO in Action Pledge, it seemed like a natural extension of the work that WMCHealth has been doing in the diversity and inclusion space over the past few years. I look forward to joining the ranks of my fellow CEOs who have already taken this pledge and continue to make important strides that have improved their organizations, as well as their business outcomes.