Advance the DEI goals of increasing the racial, ethnicity and gender diversity of the team, as well as meeting the signed obligations of the Act On Pledge including:
- Creating safe spaces to have difficult conversations;
- Unconscious bias education;
- Peer to peer learning;
- Creating and sharing strategic DEI plan with the Board of Directors.
Action Learning Project #1: Substantial Dominant Culture Survey (launching in January)
- Learning question: How might we ensure Substantial’s culture is inclusive and not driven only by the dominant group?
- 100 day actions: Finalize survey, administer in January, share learnings at first all staff training, workshop antidotes (e.g. in DEI Working Group and at second all staff training)
- Build Working Group capacity to establish new action learning project around antidote ideas
Action Learning Project #2: Client Facing DEI Initiative Best Practices (in-development)
- Learning questions: How might we connect Substantial’s DEI efforts to client engagements?
- Idea: Host a roundtable with industry partners/leaders for a lively discussion on the topic, with actionable takeaways led by Substantial (highlighting best practice solutions)
C. All-staff Training
Two-hour mandatory staff training sessions (dates TBD). Develop and circulate a learning agenda for ongoing learning in-between training sessions.
Pre-session Learning Agenda
- Summary DEI Assessment Report and Dominant Culture Survey Report
- The National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) Future Fluency Podcast Episodes 8-10 on bias
- Identity and intersectionality (target and agent rank) (Diversity Wheel, Agent/Target Rank)
Session 1 content includes:
- Overview of DEI initiative
- DEI Vocabulary and Bias
- Review key takeaways from DEI Assessment and Dominant Culture Survey
Session 2 content includes:
- Identity: Target and Agent Rank Skills Build (intersectionality)
- Dominant culture antidotes
D. People Manager + Leadership Team Training
Two 90-minute People Manager + Leadership Team training sessions led by Moving Beyond. The focus of these sessions is to build on the all-staff training efforts and provide those leading in the organization with additional skills to support living into the organization’s DEI goals.
E. Strategic DEI Plan
Building on the Q1-Q2 DEI Workplan, develop a Strategic DEI Plan with KPI’s (with opportunities for leadership input and buy-in), culminating in sharing it with the Substantial Board of Directors.
F. Follow-up Staff DEI Assessment
Conduct a follow-up survey to assess changes and identify indicators of success and areas of needed improvement for the DEI Initiative. Share results with DEI Working Group + People Managers.