Creating an Enduring Mentoring Culture
With 20,000 employees across 90 offices globally, SPGI wanted to break down barriers between divisions, countries and functions, fuel an inclusive culture, impact our employees’ ability to live our Leadership Essentials (the behaviors expected of all employees to drive business success), expose employees to senior leaders for professional development, and provide valuable tools to develop and retain talent.
After conducting an employee survey to determine interest and expectations, we gathered executive feedback and then built a comprehensive suite of options in response:
- One-to-One Program – matching more experienced leaders with more junior mentees for formal, structured, year-long partnerships
- Mentoring Circles – Eight to 10 mentees who meet monthly for a year with two mentors for group, and peer learning
- Mutual Mentoring – Inter-generational, one-to-one partnerships spanning senior and junior level pairs
Importantly, our programs expose all participants to diverse perspectives on business challenges. Mentees’ development opportunities and mentors’ strengths are aligned to our Leadership Essentials, through personal interviews, to ensure the best matches possible. Participation is voluntary and demand is high – “seats” usually are taken within minutes. The programs are led by a Mentoring Manager in our Corporate D&I office.
- Positive correlation between program participation and promotion rates.
- Stronger leaders with advanced mentoring and coaching skills.
- Empowered employees who take ownership of their career paths by openly seeking guidance.
- Extension of mentoring into the community: our leaders mentor Veterans through American Corporate Partners, and female entrepreneurs through MicroMentor. Our ERGs mentor students in robotics competitions to encourage interest in STEM fields.
- Increased adoption of informal mentoring relationships.
Our Mentoring Programs make up an essential part of our overall talent strategy. They’re successful because leaders grow by ‘giving back’ while mentees have clearer insights into how they can develop at S&P Global and help drive our business forward.